YT Privilege



Considered a humorous slant on things for an easier read, even considered beginning with "unpopular opinion:", but nah, I'm angry, and this topic is uncomfortable, and people should be uncomfortable if only for their lack of action, or the way they flinch when they see the word "racism". 
I want to talk about privilege.

I am seething over what we all saw happen in Minnesota this week. The cold blooded murder that is, not the reaction to it.
But I acknowledge that the anger burning in the hearts of those being oppressed around the world is unfathomable to me, and it is unfathomable to all white people, because we have never come close to experiencing it for even a moment, never mind on a daily basis.

I wholeheartedly believe that as white people, it is especially our role in society to stand up against any and all racism, not just in our morals, not just in our retweets and not just in our facebook posts... call it out when we see it, actually act when we hear it, but more than that, make an effort to learn about the lives of our black friends. To ask about their experiences, and read books by black authors. It's our duty as friends, as colleagues, as partners, and as human beings.

We must recognise our allies in both class and race, never ever feel awkward or that it is not our place to get involved in incidents to defend a stranger, because it wont be long before we all have to stand together to fight for causes that affect all of us.

People will react to this suggestion as if it is "virtue signalling", and that in itself could not be more regressive in the challenge of bringing true equality and equity to our world. 
Nobody is saying that the struggles of whites are not relevant, only that the colour of our skin has never been one of those struggles as it is for billions of people worldwide, and I think it's vital to understand this.
We have our voices heard more than any other race on Earth and we must collectively learn to use it for the sake of others at every opportunity, we must utilise the privilege we are born with because unlike others, we will never be murdered solely for the colour of our skin.

We must learn about the lives of our black peers and how we can improve ourselves, our societies, and our nations together.

Film the police and punch nazis where we can, 'cos racism is not a "difference of opinion" and debating it only serves to give it a platform as such.

If you are in any doubt about whether the colour of your skin is not a source of privilege, think of whether you are able to do the following without a second thought......

I can go jogging (#AmaudArbery).
I can relax in the comfort of my own home (#BothemSean and #AtatianaJefferson).
I can ask for help after being in a car crash (#JonathanFerrell and #RenishaMcBride).
I can have a cellphone (#StephonClark).
I can leave a party to get to safety (#JordanEdwards).
I can play loud music (#JordanDavis).
I can sell CD's (#AltonSterling).
I can sleep (#AiyanaJones)
I can walk from the corner store (#MikeBrown).
I can play cops and robbers (#TamirRice).
I can go to church (#Charleston9).
I can walk home with Skittles (#TrayvonMartin).
I can hold a hair brush while leaving my own bachelor party (#SeanBell).
I can party on New Years (#OscarGrant).
I can get a normal traffic ticket (#SandraBland).
I can lawfully carry a weapon (#PhilandoCastile).
I can break down on a public road with car problems (#CoreyJones).
I can shop at Walmart (#JohnCrawford) .
I can have a disabled vehicle (#TerrenceCrutcher).
I can read a book in my own car (#KeithScott).
I can be a 10yr old walking with our grandfather (#CliffordGlover).
I can decorate for a party (#ClaudeReese).
I can ask a cop a question (#RandyEvans).
I can cash a check in peace (#YvonneSmallwood).
I can take out my wallet (#AmadouDiallo).
I can run (#WalterScott).
I can breathe (#EricGarner).
I can live (#FreddieGray).
I can ask someone to put a leash on their dog when it is required in the public park we are in (#ChristianCooper).
I CAN BE ARRESTED WITHOUT THE FEAR OF BEING MURDERED. #GeorgeFloyd

These are the names of African-Americans murdered by the US police department, but unfortunately the list of black Brits unlawfully killed by the police is not a short one either, and there's a damn fine reason for ACAB being recognised in every country in the world regardless of language.

All lives can't matter until #BlackLivesMatter

Get yourselves on twitter, look at what is happening, and radicalise yourselves.

Final note: for once, this isn’t a prompt for debate. This is a prompt to educate yourself. 
If you are willing call out civil unrest and property damage but not police brutality or systematic racism, then you are calling for the continuation of oppression, and stating that material goods are more valuable than human life. There’s no two ways around it, that belief is inherently wrong.

Comments

Popular Posts